Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Homeschooling in India

I’m trying to explore few things regarding homeschooling and would love to hear from you of your experience, opinion, suggestion and ideas.
You might be aware that I’ve been homeschooling my children for some years now and by three years time from now I guess our eldest daughter would be appearing for her board exam. However, my question is how do you do that in India? One needs to produce a preceding class passed certificate first, i.e. class IX passed school certificate. Unlike the West where one can easily sit for such exam (or most of the exams) by undergoing an eligible test, I guess we don’t have such option in India. Or do we?
Of course, we do have the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) but at least in my state it has come under the public scanner more than once and there were serious loopholes and flaws in it that affected the students’ studies and examination. Apparently, when it comes to joining college it appears that certificates from NIOS are given secondary preferences.
Again, homeschooling in the West is popular and also endorsed by the Govt. with many homeschooling institutions and groups authorized to conduct exams and confer legitimate certificates for further studies. Are there such similar homeschooling institutions in India? If not, I’m wondering if there’s a possibility for us Indian homeschoolers to form one with chapters in different states. I know some Indian homeschooler who thinks that this would have been a great idea, not to mention of the countless number of people who aren’t homeschooler but would have loved to do so had it not been for the certification issue.
I’m sending this message out to several of my contacts and would love to, sort of initiate a thread of discussion on the above issue. Please post your comment here. This would help others to read them and carry the discussion forward.
Thank you very much!
May God bless you,
Reuben

P.S. I wrote the above query about homeschooling while we were living in India. However, at present we're living in Kathmandu, Nepal but I guess the case is pretty much the same out here too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rueben,
    My 4 children were homeschooled for many years while younger here in the USA.
    If you are not able to find a way to do that because of testing or certificatation I would start a Christian school in Shillong.
    blessings,
    Galen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Argentina, in Christ love,
    Pat
    www.mujerdevanguardia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete