Saturday, November 8, 2008

What God thinks of Obama...


Firstly, I'm not an American neither do I live in the USA and yet an irrefutable fact cannot be denied. Any major happenings in USA have its rippling effects across the globe. For instance, in my country India, there were discussions and debates in the media as to what the election of either John McCain or Barack Obama as the next President of USA could mean to us.

Secondly, I'm not much knowledgeable about politics and I don't like it anyway.

Along with the rest of the world, I was glued to CNN Live watching the result of the voting, every moment praying that God would somehow cause a miracle to happen for McCain. However, the inevitable happened. Barack Obama was declared the winner by more than 50% of the votes. I was very disappointed, but not at all because Obama is a black American. The color of the skin hardly bothers me. I myself have brown skin.

Beside the usual liberalism of the Democrats, the thing that was bothering me most was the Internet filled with stories that Obama was and still is a Muslim and that his confession of being a Christian was simply a lie. One website had pictures of bumper stickers one of which said, "Be insane, vote Hussein". I kept telling to myself that those who voted for Obama came under a great delusion. The hangover of my disappointment just wouldn't leave me the following days. It was until about four hours ago (and that's yesterday now as it's just past midnight here as I'm typing this)...

Last night, at around 8 pm (7th Nov '08), I entered a quiet room in my house to pray. After singing the song, "My Jesus, my Savior.... shout to the Lord", I began praying for some believers in the church. As I was doing that suddenly the image of Obama appeared before me. I simply tried to discard it away because every time I see him on TV, newspapers or even think about him, I simply couldn’t digest the fact that he was going to be the next President of USA. But this time however, I had no negative feelings about him anymore. I just felt a love in my heart for this man. I wondered why and how. Then the Holy Spirit began to reveal things about him to me.

The first thing He said was, "I've chosen him" and then quickly reminded me of the Scripture in Daniel 2:21, "he removes Kings and sets up kings" (ESV). Again, He brought a second verse to my mind and it was from Romans 9:21, "Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?" (NASB). This time I felt the Lord saying, "I've chosen him not for honorable use but for common use". In essence, I felt that the Lord was saying that Obama wouldn’t be someone who’s kept for a display behind a window glass in a shelf, but rather like a vessel for everyday use, he would be a man whose hands are on the plough - willing to get them dirty. By now the Lord had my full attention. And as I continued to be in tune with what the Lord was showing me, I began to be led to pray for Obama over the following points: -

1.That Barack Obama would know not only the Jesus of Christian religion but that he would come to know Him in a personal way as his most dear and intimate Friend.

2.That he would have not only political advisors over him but that he would see as imperative the need to have a godly person over him for spiritual counseling and to help him in his faith in Christ Jesus.


3.That his wife and his children would similarly be strong in their faith in Christ and would grow closer to Him in all godliness.

As I finished praying these three points, I felt a sense of peace in me. And now I'm not at all worried that he's going to be sworn in as the next President of this great country. In fact, I'm sure I'll be praying for Barack Obama and his family regularly. After all, when Jesus taught us to love and pray even for our enemy how much more for someone who's not our enemy?

6 comments:

  1. Reuben, this is an email I just sent out to some in my address book list here in the USA, after which I received your email and Blog article:

    I feel led of the Spirit to share with you what I discern to be a Godly response to the US national election results. I would strongly counsel everyone to focus on some basic Scriptural truths about our citizenship responsibilities:

    1) Governments rise and fall as He ordains - Daniel 4:32 and Romans 13:1-5

    2) We are to pray for our leaders - I Timothy 2:1-3

    3 ) We are commanded to pay our taxes and render honor to those in authority - Romans 13:6-7; I Peter 2:13-17

    4) We are not to speak evil of rulers - II Peter 2:9-10

    5) Any nation that fears the Lord will reap blessings and any nation that does not will suffer His judgment - Proverbs 14:34; Psalms 2:1-12

    6) Always remember that our ultimate citizenship is in heaven - Philippians 3:20-21; Acts 17:24-27

    7) Concerning a broader perspective view of world events, I feel strongly in my spirit that we are imminently facing very difficult days ahead, and yet at the same time, glorious days. Calamities of all kinds will continue to increase, persecution of believers will increase greatly, and at the same time, the Gospel of the Kingdom will be powerfully lived out and proclaimed to all nations of the world.

    8) Remember and take comfort in what Jesus said, "And when these things begin to come to pass, then lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh!" (Luke 21:28)

    Love in Him,

    Dan Hubbell
    His servant
    From "a hired house"(Acts 28:30-31)
    Winnsboro, Texas USA
    http://www.churchrestoration.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the thoughts that were given to you. I have to say this. The truth is, G.W. Bush is more than likely guilty of a number of atrocities himself, yet Christians in this country gloss over such things because he is labeled "good." In politics in America, the line between 'good' & 'evil' is drawn by people with agendas. In one agenda, abortion is evil but nuclear war is OK; in another agenda, abortion is OK under certain circumstances, but nuclear war is evil. Ron Sider wrote a book, "Completely Pro-Life: Building a Consistent Stance." We can't be selective in our 'pro-life' agenda. In our country many Christians hate abortion, but have little problem with nuclear war (Larry Kickham, "The Theology of Nuclear War," Covert Action Information Bulletin, #27, Spring 1987, pp.9ff.). There are grave dangers in being one-issue driven. For example, Hitler took a strong stand against certain 'evils,' and he was able to deceive some Baptists from the USA who visited Germany in 1934. They came away thinking he was a pretty decent leader. Why? Because they judged him by certain outward narrow moral issues, and they missed some matters that were outside their agenda (William Loyd Allen, "How Baptists Assessed Hitler," Christian Century, Sept.1-8, 1982, p.890; http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=1336).
    Thanks for reflecting on these thoughts!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Reuben – I appreciated your reflections on Obama, and the call to pray for him.

    Blessings,

    Cindy Perry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Reuben,

    I read your blog. Yo would be surprised to know that I have been and am an admirer of Obama. I have been really turned off by the rabid Christianity of the Republicans which is so hypocrital. How does any fair and just Christian justify the war against Iraq in the name of fighting Al Qaida when Saddam Hussein was the top enemy of Bin Laden in the Arab world? There was no nuclear weapon, never found in spite of six years of war. All that happened was that Dick Chenney's company bagged the heavy bulk of the contracts in its various names of 'Halliburton' or 'Kellog & Brown". That is too far from Christ - it is simple corruption. Whay did Bush use so many excuses simply to get Iraqi oil, which happens to be the cheapest in the world as it is located at a high level so much cheaper to extract.

    And look at the campaign! Obama's was far cleaner with the republicans making false allegations aginst him. It certainly was not Christian. I am a fundamental Christian but not fundamentalist in the sense of being intolerable of other faiths. Christ brought freedom. We can only worship him truly in freedom, by our own choice for I have to give myself, my life, my all, to him. No one can be forced to believe in Christ. All are to be respected. But, he is the only way, there is no other. If however one does not accept Jesus, he has all the right to choose for Jesus has come to seek those who will worship him in truth, and it spirit. He does not want hypocritical worshippers. He does not want those who will worship him for material gain - he wants those who will be ready to give up, not take.

    This freedom in Jesus has set me free from many things. And I thank God for this. We must pursue the truth, it will set all who do so free.

    Barkos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reuban I have been reading you blog and enjoying your insights into what's happening in the world. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your valuable comments!

    Reuben

    ReplyDelete